Though I am prepared to do this. There are many people in the UK who don't have the NHS dentist and then when something goes wrong they are in dire straits to get it sorted. The thing is that in the UK NHS private dentistry is a rediculous price. I always suspected this but recently someone I know who has moved here from Brazil had to have a route canal done privately. They said that the price was 4 times that in Brazil. This is why all the 'yoofs' go to Turkie to get their teeth done.
That said, I think it should be interesting in 10 years. Apparently implants only have a 10 year life span. By which time most of them will have kids and if they are lucky also have mortgages, if not be paying hefty rentals. So when all their implants drop out what will they do? I foresee lots of people with really terrible tooth problems. I actually hope I'm wrong, I don't say this with relish. Though people don't seem to have the same relationship with debt that I do. I am terrified of it and try to stay debt free at all times (having ruined my 20's paying back debt).
On Thursday there was some excitement throughout the day. There was a 93% eclipse happening. Talk was of pin hole cameras and where the eclipse was going to be watched. I'd heard that during an eclipse all the seagulls take off at once and the dogs freak out.
So my family had decided to go down to the beach to watch. Earlier in the week I'd looked up the price of the eclipse glasses and for £20 I had decided not to spend the money (still not sure if that was the right idea). So we headed down with a piece of card with a hole in it and a collander (an idea from internet). Plus we took dog down so she wouldn't be alone and worried.
As we walked there I could see about 200 people up on Beacon Hill waiting. Normally there's about 8 people with dogs up there. I was tempted to go and join them, but wanted to check out the seagulls.
We sat there and tried to convince ourselves that the collander was giving us a view of the eclipse happening, but had no luck with the pinhole in the card. The time for the eclipse happened and the temperature dropped about 2 degrees. There was no visible change to the sun though it got a teeny tiny bit darker if you concentrated very hard. I took the photo that's with this post and as you can see there's no visible sign of anything.
Not one seagull took off and the dog was sniffing around the beach trying to find where we'd hidden her ball.
The time of the eclipse came and went and we sat there a little confused wondering what next. In the end as it was a nice evening we sat on the beach for another 10 minutes, with son moaning he was bored. Then we headed home. A total non event.
I wonder what the people up on Beacon Hill did. Did they just shrug and walk away, start to have conversations to pretend they were there for a reason - or what.
I don't mean to be dismissive of a celestial event, but it could have tried a bit harder!!!!! Loving the news today with loads of stories and photos of the event. I thought maybe it was just where I was, but going into work this morning and looking at the team chat people from Aberdeen down to Southampton were all as unimpressed as me!
Back to conversation at work and somebody checked nobody had looked directly at it. Followed by many sarcastic comments (unfair because the person was only being concerned). My favourite being... I used two monster much packets to filter the harmful rays - worked well although my retinas hurt this morning and I've an usual dark spot in the corner of my vision.
Well it made me laugh (they were joking btw).

Comments
Post a Comment