The only great excitement from the week was that I suddenly noticed that there were some baby Shumak's growing out of the lawn. This is only exciting because it gave me the opportunity to pot one. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about a Shumak is basically a sort of tree with spikey leaves. It's not massively attractive, but the Shumak I planted in the garden was given to me by my father. As he gets older I'm ever more aware of his mortality. So every time I look at the Shumak I think about him.
Hopefully one of the babies from it will grow and I'll have more than one. Essentially the children of the one that dad gave me. I'm aware that's all a bit strange, but I've put the babies into pots. I'm always now thinking about the fact we may be moving. This would mean I could take one with me. So it's not as strange as it sounds.
With nothing planned for this weekend I knew that if we didn't put some plans in we'd end up doing nothing at all again. Though I didn't want too much going on. I suddenly had the idea of going bowling.
Now I haven't been bowling since son was 7 years old. On Saturday morning at the local bowling centre the all 20 lanes are set aside for children's parties. This felt like a really good idea. They have a DJ and you can either purchase food there or take your own. I thought this would be the easiest party I'd ever done.
From the second we were in there the noise was beyond belief. Imagine 22 childrens birthday parties in a room with nothing to deaden the noise. Then add a DJ playing childrens songs. Now you're getting the idea. To make it even worse every 20 minutes the DJ would let the kids know a nerf gun prize had been hidden somewhere in the bowling centre and would send them off screaming to try to find it.
It was one of the longest 2 hours of my life. When it ended husband and son went off to the football and I headed home to decompress. I sat on the sofa in silence. When I came to again I discovered I'd just been sitting there like that for 4 hours without moving!
And so we haven't gone near the place since.
Husband and son both were up for it though so I booked us all in for a couple of games. We went early in the evening on Saturday. The noise level in there was high, but nothing like the birthday party and actually once you started playing it was reasonably easy to shut the noise out.
Husband and I were at least 25 years older than anybody else in there, which was a bit strange. On the lane next to us were a young couple, about 15 who were clearly on a date. It was really sweet and I did enjoy the people watching.
There's not really much more to say about it - basically we did some bowling! I didn't win either of the 2 games, but I hadn't expected to, it was more about doing something a bit different.
I don't think we're suddenly fans and will be off every single spare Saturday, but I suspect we might go again every couple of months. So it must have been something we enjoyed.

Comments
Post a Comment